You cringe when someone starts a conversation "so I had a look at your website."
You've pretended that a Facebook page is just as good as having a website.
You've run out of excuses and just need to have a site that works.
As a wellness professional, a holistic practitioner, a healer, your mission to improve lives with your one-of-a-kind healing work doesn't begin with the first client session.
Your healing work begins with the messages you share with the world. Yes, it's about the way you describe what you do when you meet someone in person, but it is also about the way you build community through social media and the way you greet visitors when they first see your website.
In today's media-rich environment, the way you really use your voice and effectively spread your message is with an attractive, compelling website that's fully supported by a sustainable social media strategy.
It's your mission to change the world, one session or one class at a time. It's our mission to empower you to build, write, and market a website that will enable you to reach those new clients and students.
The Online Empowerment Website Course
Build, Write, and Market Your Site!
Class begins February 25, 2013
Have you put off creating a new website or renovating your current site because you don't have the money, the skills, or the time?
- This course is affordable. The Online Empowerment Course will save you upwards of 86% on what you would have to invest in hiring a designer, writer, and marketing consultant to create your site.
- This course will give you all the tools you need. The only prerequisites for The Online Empowerment Course is a desire to learn, a curiosity about online technology & promotion, and comfort with basic Web resources like email & social media.
- This 8-week course is designed with your busy schedule in mind. Each week's lessons include a recommended schedule. Most weeks will only require a four hour time commitment, though a couple of the most intense weeks may need about 8 hours of your time (see the schedule below).
You need instructors who monitor your progress and classmates who share in the process to stay on track and make your brand new site go live. You need lessons that arrive weekly and task checklists to keep you on track so that you can really develop a complete site within 8 weeks.
This course right for you if...
- you want a beautiful, functional website
- you need a site that brings you more paying clients
- you're ready for an affordable solution to your online marketing challenges
- you believe that having the knowledge to make changes to your site is essential to your business's sustainability and profitability
- you have a sense of curiosity, tenacity, and a desire to be an independent and successful entrepreneur
- you have reasonable command of online basics like email and social media, and are comfortable interacting online
The course is based on our guiding principle: Discover, Describe, Deliver Your Message.
- Know your heart, your mission, and how you will better your clients' and customers' lives.
- Tell stories that connect with your community through engaging and authentic words and images.
- Use the best, most efficient tools the Web offers to share your message with the world.
We're also giving you two more D's - Design and Develop:
- Understand the essential elements of a website and how to match the look and the function that will connect with your potential clients and support the day-to-day operations of your business.
- Learn the basics of WordPress so you'll be able to update and add to your site at any time.
But why do you need to "take charge" of this whole online presence thing?
It's true, there are options out there that say you can drag and drop and create a website in an evening. But there are huge drawbacks to such options.
- You may have to pay monthly fees. (A WordPress site will only cost you yearly hosting fees of about $60).
- If the "it's so easy" company should fail or get hacked, your website is gone. (WordPress is an open source solution that isn't "owned" by anyone).
- You only have a few themes to choose from that might even remotely work for the holistic community. (The options with WordPress are pretty much endless - whenever you want to change the look of your site you can do it from scratch or choose from countless themes designed by the experts.)
- You cannot count on help or support. (WordPress is supported by legions of devoted developers with countless free forums at which you can find the answers you need).
When you are using a WordPress site that you built yourself:
- you can make changes to the text, look, and architecture immediately and never have to call a webmaster for help on the little things.
- built on the wildly popular WordPress platform, the site can easily be turned over to someone else when your business grows and you're able to delegate.
- you can add and remove features as your online needs mature and change with your business
In 8 weeks you'll have:
- a clear, attractive homepage that engages and inspires your ideal clients. You'll have a powerful call to action, clear navigation, an email opt-in with at least the beginnings of an accompanying offer, and a slider to showcase your offerings
- pages of interior content written with your mission, your community, and your keywords in mind
- a blog ready for your compelling content and tips on how to succeed at blogging even if you've never considered it before
- a sustainable social media strategy that makes sense and totally integrated social media functionality for your site
- basic search engine optimization (SEO that you can understand!)
- a mobile-friendly interface that greets the growing number of visitors who see your site from their smartphones
- the ability to track your audience, reach, and conversions with Google Analytics
- an appreciation for what the "new" social media network, Google+, can do for you
With this course, you'll get more than just a website
- You'll receive easy-to-follow training materials via text and video in your inbox every Monday. At the end of each week, we'll help you draw all of the information together with helpful checklists. All of this will help you build great technical skills, but the material included in each lesson offers much more than how-to instructions to understand WordPress, Google, and other useful third-party products (though that stuff comes standard each week!).
- You'll be learning new approaches to promoting your work that will extend far beyond the web. Guest experts will introduce you to new communications vehicles like podcasting, video, and creating an opt-in offer.
- Individual Attention
- You'll always be working and learning under the wise and watchful eyes of two instructors who are completely dedicated to your success. A combination of private consultations, live group calls, and a moderated community space will guarantee you personal attention and support. The class size is limited to only 20 dedicated holistic website creators who, like you are learning these skills to boost their own very real, wellness business.
- Community Support & Networking Opportunities
- When you need support and advice, look to your coursemates in the community forum. Your fellow students will be there when you want to commiserate about the challenges of picking your color palette and the victories of writing the perfect homepage. You'll also have great potential resources when it comes to referrals and promotional partnerships.
We are the instructors with "wise and watchful eyes"
We are Corinna Rake, website designer, and Marisa Goudy, writer, healer, and communications consultant.
This collaboration is what happens when you unify the left and right brain and bring the jock/tech geek and the newspaper editor/healer together. The magic that happens when opposites attract produces a course tailor-made to help mom entrepreneurs and the holistic community grow and thrive.
Course Schedule & Curriculum
|Week #||Date||Theme||Time Commitment*||Task Summary|
|Week 1||February 25 - March 3||"Direct" week||4 hours||Introductory group call; 30 minute consultation with Marisa; complete detailed needs & goals questionnaire; meet your classmates in the community space; watch Intro to WordPress videos|
|Week 2||March 4 - 10||Discover||4 - 5 hours||Develop ideal client description; dentify what you site needs to accomplish & the necessary technical elements; research other sites for inspiration|
|Week 3||March 11 - 17||Describe||7.5 hours||Copywriting basics; write website content including mission, "about," services, and homepage; intro to blogging|
|Week 4||March 18 - 24||Design||5 - 6 hours||Determine basic site layout; learn to create pages & add images; choose colors & fonts; create header.|
|Week 5||March 25 - 31||Develop||5 hours||Plugins including appointment booking, contact form & map; Paypal; security & antispam; social sharing; integrate testimonials & portfolio + 30 minute consultation with Corinna|
|Week 6||April 1 - 7||"Do" week||whatever it takes to complete tasks to date||Get help on completing previous weeks' lessons & get caught up|
|Week 7||April 8 - 14||Deliver||6.5 hours||Website & blog marketing tips; newsletter & opt-in offer; intro to including video on your site; editorial calendar creation; social media strategy|
|Week 8||April 15 - 21||"Debrief" week||whatever it takes to complete tasks to date + 60 minute group wrap-up call||Get help on finishing up your site and celebrate with your classmates!|
Questions: send an email to 'corinna at rakeconsulting dot com' or 'marisa at marisagoudy dot com'
Lessons will be sent each Monday morning with recommended dates of completion (the online community discussion will follow this schedule, but you are free to ask questions about any part of the course at any time). You'll receive a checklist at the end of each week to track your own process and you have the opportunity to get "graded" on each week's work.
* All time commitment figures take into account time spent reading, watching, or listening to lessons plus an estimation of time necessary to apply the lessons to your site
You'll receive the lessons by email every Monday.
Each module includes:
- instruction via video, audio, or text
- exercises based on the training that you can apply directly to the creation of your site
- a suggested timeframe to complete the tasks
- the opportunity to receive a grade on each module - if you want one!
- a checklist arrives each Friday to help you keep track of every element of the lesson
- Plus, all course content will be accessible on our members only site
Two consultations with your instructors:
- At the beginning of the course, discuss your goals and how you'll approach your message and brand with Marisa in a 30 minute phone or video chat
- Near the end of the course, Corinna will help you review the overall look and the technical details in a 30 minute phone or video chat
- A 90 minute kickoff call will help to address your initial concerns and questions
- A half-way point call to monitor your progress and offer the guidance and cheerleading you need
- A final celebration to show off everyone's projects and discuss any needs you have that fall outside the scope of the course
- Note: all calls will be recorded so you can listen at your leisure, but you won't want to miss the chance to be part of the live Q & A!
Support during and after the course
- Access to a video library full of WordPress training during the course and access to them for as long as you host your site with us
- The chance to join future classes of The Online Empowerment Website Course for free if you feel you need to brush up on your skills
- A discount on all of Corinna and Marisa's services during the course and for the six months following the course
- Discounts on products, plug-ins, and other subscription services during the course and for the six months following the course
- Elements of a winning, profitable website
- The power of WordPress, the most popular website building platform out there
- How to pick a great URL or website address
- Best practices for marketing your work and putting your website at the center of those efforts
- The latest in SEO and the emerging importance of author authority in Google rankings
- Set up the site with a WordPress friendly host
- Navigate and operate the Wordpress dashboard
- Add a site header and a logical navigation system
- Create posts and pages and work with images
- Write copy that compels and sells
- Basic steps to boost SEO including keyword selection and search engine submission
- Integrate social media strategies with website development
Community Learning Opportunities
- Meet entrepreneurs in complementary fields who are eager to network and reciprocate
- Ask questions about the lessons and get feedback on the look of your site and the sound of your copy
- Share promotional opportunities
"I have only been working with Corinna for a few weeks and already I am taking charge of my website! Her helpful insights and thought provoking exercises are keeping me on track and moving forward! This bootcamp is helping me bring clarity and focus to my business. While the obvious benefit is a working, productive, profitable website it has helped me develop new business ideas and explore new possibilities! This has been a great business investment and I recommend it to anyone!"
-- Patti Arbon, Scarf Stylist www.scarvesilove.com
Sign up today!
Class begins February 25, 2013
spot at this
fantastic price of just $796!
Register now and your paid-in-full price is only $557!!
Just think - an entire website and all the knowledge you'll gain for just $557.
Dear One, what has been holding you back?
We know you often feel terribly overwhelmed by what you see as the demands of social media. We also know that taking over the technical side of your website might seem daunting, even if you can understand why having control over this central element of your online presence is an important business decision.
We need to let you in on a little secret. A secret about YOU. We think you might be the last to know.
You are way more capable than you think.
You are the authority on your practice and your business, and no one can tell your story or spread your message better than you can. You may need guidance and you may have a lot to learn, but with the right tools, there is nothing that you cannot do.
You know what else we know about you? We know for sure that you CAN take charge of your website. We know that you can build it using the super user-friendly WordPress platform. We know that you can write your own pages once you understand the fundamentals of writing website copy. We also know that you can create and rock a marketing strategy when it's all about driving people to a great new website that perfectly showcases what you have to offer.
It's our mission to empower you to build, write and market a website that will convert visitors into clients who pay you what you're worth.
What else do we know about you?
You are an wellness professional who runs a business in part because you are dedicated to making the world a better place. You are balancing building a business and walking the path to awakening. You may be juggling motherhood or fatherhood and entrepreneurship.
You are used to doing an awful lot by yourself both because you are really good at getting stuff done and because you feel you should be able to do it yourself. You are grateful for support when it appears, though you have trouble asking for it sometimes. But WOW, when you are in community you are always inspired by how magically useful it can be.
Right now, your business is a solo show or only involves a few employees. You know you need to start where you are, but you are looking to put systems and solutions in place that will grow with your business - because you know you are going to grow!
We don't have any preconceived notions about what you can afford, but we are pretty sure that you know that making an investment in your own learning and in the development of your business is important. We also know you are going to think carefully about offering up your money or your time to a course that may be demanding sometimes - it will take time, perseverance, and a desire to learn.
"Marisa was a wonderful partner as I developed the story and mission of my company. She walked beside me and asked the right questions as I worked to discover what made my brand and its values unique. The copy that she wrote to describe my products and my company philosophy is right on.
Her help was invaluable as I renovated my website. We discussed everything from copy to layout to image selection and logo design. Communicating my needs and vision to my web designer was so much easier with Marisa's help. She really helped me see the big picture."
-- Gail Carruthers, Owner of Kazowe Shoes, Inc. www.kazoweshoes.com
Here's what we know about our course
We know that with our training and support you can build, write, and market the website that will help show off the best of your brand and will help to convert prospects into sales.
We understand your challenges and we understand what inspires you to push forward with your own business. We also understand what it takes to teach you to build, write, and market a website that will propel you to the level of success that means you'll employ a staff to handle all the details of your next website!
We believe in you and we believe that empowering you to build, write, and market your own website is the best way for you to get a beautiful, functional website that you can afford.
If you find that this approach does not work for you within the first 2 weeks of the course we will refund your tuition*. *Less a $50 registration and processing fee.
Get a complete website for less than 14% of what it would cost to hire a designer and a writer to do it for you!
8 Reasons that it really is time to take charge of your website
- You are the one you've been waiting for. If you still don't have a website you're proud of you must be waiting for someone to take care of it. The website creator you were looking for is YOU.
- You want and need control over your most important online asset. You'll have the power to make the changes and updates when you need them.
- Creating your site with WordPress is an investment in your business now and an investment in your future because this versatile platform allows your site to grow with you.
- You're not ready to make the investment in a website designer, coder, and copywriter and you don't have time for all the back and forth with multiple consultants anyway.
- You know better than anyone who your ideal client is and how they want to be invited to take advantage of your services or products
- You're ready for an opportunity to brush up your writing and online communications skills. You will always need to create quality content when you market yourself online, on your web pages, in your blog, or over social media.
- You'll save so much money in the long-term if you become comfortable and skilled at using the marketing channels that are available online.
- You can have a website that works for you that will only cost you the price of tuition. With everything you'll be learning about writing and marketing in this course, it is like the website is free!
"When I first met Marisa I know she understood me and my business. As an intuitive healer having someone who worked authentically and intuitively was a priority. Marisa didn't disappoint. My website and supporting flyers and ad copy all spoke directly to my clientele. Having her support through the development process was priceless."
-- Shari L. Riley, Intuitive Healer, www.sharilriley.com
We know your excuses because we've made them ourselves
We know that you have been meaning to update your site. We know that you've been thinking you shoulda renovated or created your site a while ago. So, what has stopped you?
- You don't have the time to think about what needs to change
A class with weekly goals will make you make the time
- You don't know who you'd call to help
We're here to help during the course and beyond
- You are short on funds to reinvest in your business
This course is decidedly less expensive than hiring a designer & writer who'll create the custom site you need
- You've been getting by with the the old site for so long already
But your business deserves so much more than that dated design and copy!
- You had a bad experience with your last designer because he
or she was unresponsive or expensive or just never got it quite
You are the designer. You are in control.
- You have put so much time into social media, there is just no
energy left to think about that website no one really sees
Your social media investment is wasted if you don't have a home on the web that helps you convert those prospects into dedicated, paying customers and clients!
All of these reasons are valid, but the visitors to your site don't really care about your reasons. They just know that your crummy site or your lack of a website is an impediment to booking an appointment with you.
You've run out of reasons why you are not your own best web designer, copywriter, and marketing expert! Sign up today to get the tools and support to essentially 'hire yourself' to create your own website and save more than 86% of what you would pay to hire somebody else!
This course is ideal for you if:
- you are a wellness professional or a holistic entrepreneur with a vision who is ready to look at your business and your marketing efforts through the lens of "Discover, Describe, Deliver"
- you have basic tech proficiency and a desire to learn more
- you have a website that you hate or isn't working for you
- you still do not have a site and have been relying on Facebook or other social media outposts
- a gradual but steady approach to website creation will fit into your busy schedule and still help you get the project done
- you want to undertake a project like this with the help or a supportive community, especially as you seek out marketing opportunities
"Marisa is my go to person whenever I have a question about social media. Online stuff is the part of my business that I like the least, but it is great to know I can call her when I have basic "how does this work" questions and also when I want to think about my social media strategy in general. She takes the time to really understand what is unique about my customers and about the way that I am comfortable using tools like social media and newsletters.
And though I know I could do the writing for my business myself, I find it so hard to step outside the story. Her tips and editing help me say things in a way that help my customers connect with my message. She makes everything so clear and sound so pretty!"
-- Maureen Torpey, Co-Owner of Fairy Cakes Cupcakery, www.fairycakesbuffalo.com
"When I worked with Corinna to create my first website in 2006, she really took the 'fear' out of the process and made it a lot of fun. She has since created 3 versions of my website over the last 6 years and was always helpful with any questions I had. She looked for solutions which would allow me the ability to make my own updates in an easy-to-use interface. I now have a WordPress site that I love, is easy to update and gives my Wellness Clinic a professional presence online."
-- Dr. Jennifer Salib Huber, RD, ND, www.PillarsOfHealth.ca
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the course tuition include hosting fees?
- No. If you choose to host with us you'll pay about $60/year for hosting and about $15/year for the domain name.
- Can I stick with my current host?
- Yes. Two things to consider, however. 1) : the course includes a custom video tutorial to demonstrate the installation of WordPress onto sites that are hosted with us. You are responsible for installing WordPress onto your current host using their support. If you need help installing WordPress, we'll charge $50 for the service. 2) The tutorial videos will not be accessible after the course's conclusion if you do not host with us. If you commit to switching from your current host to our host within a year from the start date of the course, we will "bridge you" until then and give you uninterrupted access to the videos.
- Can I keep parts of my current site?
- We'll be using the brand new WordPress created "Twenty Twelve" theme as a starting point and the latest version of WordPress. Most likely, your current site will not be built using the same parameters. You can certainly attempt to upgrade your current site, including the look and functionality of parts of it, but the course format requires that you are prepared to rebuild the site for this new format. We're guessing that you're enrolling in this course because you're prepared to throw just about everything you have on your current site out the window.
- There are three live calls during the course. When will they be held and is attendance required?
- We'll announce the date and times of the calls as we get closer. If we can, we will build consensus with the group to determine the best time. Both Corinna and Marisa live in the Eastern Time Zone. All calls will be recorded and made available within 24 hours of the presentation.
- The course includes two chances for one-on-one sessions with the instructors. What if I need more help?
- Both Corinna and Marisa will be available for individual consultations on an hourly basis. Course participants receive a discount on these sessions during the course and for six months afterward. They are also available to take on projects if you decide that building, writing, or marketing your site is not for you and offer discounts on their fees for six months after the course is complete.
"Marisa helps put words to my work and translates it for the new audience I am creating for my work. She worked directly with my web designer to be sure that the words matched the overall look of the site and to ensure visitors would have the best experience on the site. Her help with social media and my newsletters has also been a wonderful asset."
-- Eleanora Amendolara, Master Healer and Teacher, Sacred Center Academy for the Healing Arts and Sciences, www.sacredcenter.net and www.awessences.com
It is time for you to be Empowered Online and step into 2013 with a plan for bringing your web presence into alignment with your brilliant business vision.
It's time for you to have a website you can be proud of and it is time for you to be empowered to create it yourself. We would like nothing more than to have you in the class so that we can give you the tools you need to build a website that will bring you more business in 2013.
We're so eager to be your guides over this course of creation and transformation!
Marisa and Corinna